Here are the scripture citations I was going to give at the Alpha/Omega event on May 9th. (Thanks for a great night everyone!)
I. John 21:24-25
– Many things Jesus said and did were not written down
II. Acts 1:1-3
– Speaks about the kingdom of God which is not written down but kept by the Apostles, shows that the Church teaches the full truth.
III. Matthew 16:17-20
– Confession of Simon’s faith is the foundation of the Church, Simon is renamed Peter (because that faith is not from him but from God) and he (Peter) is given the power to bind and loose.
IV. John 16:12-13
– There is more teaching to come (after the Passion) which will be taught to the Apostles (foundations of the Church) and will be ‘all truth.’
V. Luke 22:31-34
– During the Last Supper, Jesus grants protection to Peter’s FAITH – the guarantee of the power given in Matthew 16. Note, Jesus does not guarantee that Peter will remain morally upright, thus the Pope will always be protected to teach the right faith even if there is failure in his moral life.
VI. John 21:15-19
– Jesus confirms the love of Peter and His love for Peter and prophecies the future of Peter and of the Popes.
VII. Acts 2:42-43
– The teaching of the Apostles is a key part of the worship of Christian because they, 1) have the power of the Holy Spirit to teach and 2) were with Jesus after the Resurrection.
VIII. 1 Corinthian 15:9
– Saul (Paul) persecuted the Church of God, meaning that the Church was alive, up and running before the Bible came into existence.
IX. 1 Timothy 3:14-15
– The church is the pillar and foundation of the truth.
X. Acts 15:1-29
– Representatives of the Apostles are sent to teach the truth from ‘the Holy Spirit and us.’
XI. Revelation 21:10-23
– The heavenly Jerusalem has the Apostles as its foundation.